Sunday, July 8, 2007

What Secrets an Old Town Holds...

Today my buddy(Agent Orange) and I went on a little trip... Our mission, to discover the secrets of an abandoned factory in a undisclosed location. Rumors for over 50 years in this little town have recently surfaced regarding an abandoned military factory. The intent of which was unknown. The only known fact is all ex-military and contractor employees died within a year of the facility's 1945 closing. The gates and doors are all sealed... Hours of internet research, rumors, Google Maps and planning went into this endeavor. Do not try and find out where we went. The secret to this place is not for the faint of heart and what we found will never be revealed...

We begin our mission here...at the power panel.
As an electronics geek, it was my task to get power to the elevator. After some testing with my voltmeter I was able to find the correct circuit breaker.

I lookd at Agent Orange and gave him the signal to hit the start button.

The old elevator creaked and groaned. Amazing, the old electric motors still worked...Perhaps they were used more recently than we had thought?? The elevator lifted us straight to the roof.


Agent Orange immediately surveyed the area for signs of anyone else.

Agent Orange trying to find a way out of this location. We knew we had to descend through a roof tunnel to enter the old facility.


What the hell is down here?


(Your's truly..trying to act tough ;) )


At the bottom of the facility, I found the knob I need to turn... I knew this would open a door below. The original building diagrams do not show a final "basement" level...

Preparing my self for what's down there...

We quietly climbed down the old ladder. We may have been the first people in this room in decades...I hope...

This is the look in Agent Oranges eye's as he fully absorbs what we saw down there... This is the last photograph my camera would take that day...

I'm not sure if Agent Orange or I will ever forget the sight. Both of our cameras seemed failed to operate and the room temperature RAPIDLY dropped to below freezing. (todays weather was in the 90's). We both dove back towards the ladder as quickly as we could, hoping we would make it out alive, sane or atleast in one piece. I cannot say for certain if it was alive or a mechanical abstraction breaking all the laws of physics down there. All I know is...I'm not going back.
It's your turn...if you dare!

1 comment:

Patty said...

Sounds like ya'll had an awesome adventure! My kinda fun. I've got my own secret places I visit regularly to get photos, glad ya'll have yours! The feel of the photos is amazing. I especially love the elevator rope one.

Oh, and 'No Trespassing' signs are always just there for non-photographers! :P